Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can revitalize this game with good marketing.
I'm going to sound like a negative nancy here, so don't get me wrong... I am all for the game growing. That being said:

People have been doing this for years already. There are multiple facebook groups, there have been numerous 'reviews' written about it, there was a greenlight push on steam, alternate clients/servers have been in development, etc. etc.

There are a few main problems, as a whole:

1) The multiple zones don't really coordinate on an inter-zone level. It's safe to say that it's actually quite the opposite. Due to the different styles of games and the age of the zones/games/players, there is actually more animosity between zones than there is any level of kinship. The only thing ALL zones share is a desire for players to defect from another zone and come to theirs. Then when they do, they get continually insulted for having roots outside the zone.

2) There is no central 'agency' to coordinate, manage, and direct any marketing effort. The same applies to funds. Historically, the only 'marketing' ever done has been by a few people who put their own money and effort behind developing a website and blasting it to the internet. Unfortunately, those efforts cannot be sustained indefinitely.

3) The copyright/ownership of Subspace/Continuum has always been a detriment. The really good ways of getting exposure, like Steam greenlight, require source code to be posted and/or ownership stakeholders to participate. We have neither... hence the desire to re-develop the game as a new client/server.

As stated, I'm all for more efforts of gaining new players, but this is not a new concept, nor will it be the first effort of it's kind. Perhaps you can do a little bit of research (like searching the overall forum for 'marketing' and see what threads/info pop up.) You might be able to learn of some of the past and current people who have worked at promoting the game and get in touch with them as well.

I offer a sincere, non-sarcastic, 'good luck' with the effort!

Messages In This Thread
We can revitalize this game with good marketing. - Bargeld - 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM